Yesterday I began the process of integrating technology into my classroom via our EEE netbooks. The students not only practiced logging on, but they also organized their Google Docs with color-coded "Collections" that matched their in class folders and spirals. By starting the year off on an organized foot I am hoping we can maintain it throughout the year. I think what is hard is knowing where last years students left and realizing I am starting over from scratch with my new group. Everything takes a long time, but it was great seeing the students help each other with problem solving instead of me having to jump in all the time.
I also introduced the students to templates and how to download them. We also covered the basics of naming a document and sharing it with me. All of these little things will help us get our feet wet as we move into actual document creation! I again just feel so blessed to have one-to-one student netbook access. It opens our world up and allows each student to dive in and really explore. I also showed them my site yesterday and took them on a tour. It was fun to see their excitement over what I spent my summer creating. I also was reminded that it would be helpful to have so much of what we will need in one place. Now that they have bookmarked it as well that will allow for faster access throughout the year.
Today we are diving into the world of internet safety. With the help of BrainPOP I am introducing them to Digital Etiquette, Cyberbullying, and Online Safety. This will allow us to have some real dialogue before we use this powerful tool of technology this year. What I am so happy about is that BrainPOP not only has the videos, but they have the activities attached as well so the students and I have multiple ways to debrief and discuss before moving on to the next video. I am hoping this will lay some foundation for a safer experience at school and at home!
It has been a slow start, but I am so thrilled to be starting the year off with so many good things in place for my students and myself. I cannot wait to reflect back on this first week as see how far they come as the year continues!
It is very hard in some respects starting "over" with a new group of students. My wife teaches first grade in Douglas County and always comes home at the beginning of the year and says, "I always forget that they start the year as Kindergartners - my brain still remembers last years' kids who were ready for 2nd grade."
ReplyDeleteI'm curious as to how you're having your students share documents with you? I know you can just have them share each doc with your email address, but have you thought about having them share a folder (collection) and then all they have to do is drop something in that collection and you can see it? You may already be doing that, but I've found that very helpful with high school students (who often complete the document, but then forget to share it).
This is a great suggestion! Staying organized in my "Home" is always my task, but why not have my students help me with that. We spent last week creating the collections so I should absolutely have them share it with me. Thank you for sharing another tip to make life easier, there are never enough of those in this world!
DeleteI love that suggestion as well!!!
DeleteHi Penny,
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you're off to a great start. I love that you've taught your students to make collections and color-code them. I have found the time it takes to front-load organizational techniques to always be worth the time in the long run.
Do you also organize a document into a collection and then click "Don't Show In Home" to remove the document, form, presentation, etc. from "Home." I like teaching students to do this in order to get rid of the overwhelming presence of "Home." I recommend students only keep assignments they are currently working on in "Home."
I also highly recommend Karl's suggestion regarding shared collections as opposed to sharing individual documents. For each unit of study, I have students create a collection for the unit with a standard titling format. I create a collection for the unit and then add a separate collection for each class period underneath the main collection. I drop the students' shared collection into their appropriate class period. This may sound like one too many steps, but I find it very manageable for checking in on student work.
Melissa
Melissa,
DeleteI did teach them how to "Don't Show In Home." I agree that it keeps things less cluttered and overwhelming to look at. I do like the suggestion though of keeping current documents in "Home" so they don't forget about them.
We are absolutely front-loading right now and I have to keep reminding myself that it will pay off later. I realize there is still so much for me to learn as well that I have to keep it in perspective. Thanks as always for the help and guidance!
Penny
Is there a way to have "Don't Show in Home" as a default setting? I know how to do it each time I log in, but that seems tedious.
DeleteKristi
Penny,
ReplyDeleteI try to remember, especially at the beginning of the year, to go slow so I can go fast. What I mean is that all that front loading makes things so faster later in the school year. You can skip the how to's of technology and then focus on the teaching. So often, especially late in the year, we get so into the rush mentality of "covering" the curriculum that we forget to linger over the important things.
My team had Randy come in to start the conversation of Internet safety. I find though that that conversation will be revisited through out the year . . . just like every set of expectations I have. The charts the class made that hang on the wall become wallpaper unless I revisit those every so often.
Keep me posted on how the students' organization goes. Do they keep up with it?
Kristi
Kristi,
DeleteThank you for reinforcing this point with me. I agree that going slower allows us to go faster in the future. You are also 100% correct about revisiting many of these conversations throughout the year. I like your idea of "wallpaper" and will try and implement that into my room as well.
The organization is still going well, but now we have to adjust to the new look in Google Drive. I will be interested to see how it goes moving forward. I have a feeling some students will stick with it more than others :)
Penny