Saturday, April 20, 2013

Inviting Parents Into Our Book Clubs Via Blogging

     Well so begins another adventure into the world of technology. This time though I am not just taking myself and my students but their parents as well. YIKES! We are doing Historical Fiction Book Clubs to end our year of reading. The students have been divided into 5 groups: The Watson's Go to Birmingham, Number the Stars, My Friend the Enemy, The Midwife's Apprentice, and The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg. To add to our discussion this year I have invited parents to join us. They will read the book along with their students, discuss it at home, and blog with the group.
    Not only am I using Blogger for the first time as a teacher in this kind of way, but now I am trying to explain to parents how to use it as well. Thanks to Dana I gave them some videos she created, but then I also crafted a letter of instructions as well. I am excited and nervous all at the same time. This could go incredibly well or it could crash and burn. I sent out these instructions this morning, which means I could also be fielding a ton of email questions this weekend. No rest for the wicked I guess.
    Like anything else I am excited to see what works and what doesn't so that I can make improvements for next year. I did give parents a choice whether to participate with us or not so that means at the very least I have willing guinea pigs, I mean participants. I am going to attach some of my creation here as well as links to our Book Club blogs. I would love any and all feedback :)

Number the Stars Blog

Homer P. Figg Blog

The Watson's Go to Birmingham Blog

The Midwife's Apprentice Blog

My Friend the Enemy Blog

Parent Instructions Google Doc

4 comments:

  1. Penny,
    You are brave and I admire that! I hadn't thought of having parents join in but I think that is a great idea! Get them more involved with their child's reading and active in the learning. Super idea! I think I shall try that next year.
    I have set up blogs for my students' reading novels as well, yet, sadly, it has fizzled out once we finished the books. I need to get new ones started for these final weeks.
    You got my enthusiasm up and going gain!
    I will remember to check back in at the end of the year, to see how this went.
    Good luck!
    Kelly Almer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly,

    Wow, giving you an idea is quite the compliment as you have given me plenty this year :)
    I will definitely let you know how it goes (fingers crossed).
    That is the one thing about blogging I have still have yet to master, keeping the desire to blog going. If I come up with any solutions to that I will let you know too, haha.
    Good lucky with your end of the year novels!

    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had parents blog with students about books before. The results were a mixed bag. Some parents did a great job and other either fizzled out or tried to correct students' opinions. I think yours will go better because of the pre work you've. Great letter to the parents! I should have done that! Maybe I'll try it again.

    We just started novel groups as well. I have the kids use sticky notes to hold their thinking and to prepare for the discussions. This way I know kids are reading and thinking and I only have to look over their stickies at the end for a grade. This has made things easier for all of us. I can visually see if they have stickies at each meeting, listening in to the conversations makes sure they are understanding, and I only grade at the end. For the kids they are responding to what they need to and what seems important to them, they have less opportunity to forget to do something, and they are preparing for the discussions as they read. It seems to be working. I haven't added in the blogging piece~maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi,

      1) Feel free to use the letter if you'd like.
      2) Sticky notes are the best on so many levels. I am encouraging them to do this as well. We have our first big discussions on Monday so I will see who has been using them and who hasn't.
      3) The blogs are going great so far, but we will see if they fizzle. This year is a total learning experience. I will keep you posted!

      Penny

      Delete