Well my large undertaking of teaching research has jumped into full swing this week. I did this project last year but was not very satisfied with its outcome. The benefit of "failure" though, is that we learn from it. My big "ah ha" you could say is that I needed to be more explicit and break it down. I had already introduced what research is in previous lessons, so I spent more time this week on how to do it properly and accurately. I love having online tools to support this undertaking with my students. I showed some wonderful BrainPop videos to re-introduce research and how to do it. I then used/taught about the Research tool in Docs that allows students to research right alongside their document/notes.
This week we spent time talking about how to narrow our searches to find information we actually need. By narrowing our searches and being specific we would have less to sort through. We then discussed how to scan sources to see if they were quality and if they had information that would help us. So many of my students were writing down everything under the sun, I needed to help them save time (and save my sanity). We discussed to only write down the important things, and to help them with this we developed five essential questions together. I told them that if the information doesn't answer one of these essential questions, they shouldn't spend time writing it down. This helped immensely. Being a history major I am a whiz at research, so I needed to be reminded that I too had to learn how to do it.
I think the best conversation we had though because of this topic was a topic a discussion about primary and secondary sources. We defined what they were, discussed their importance, and then discussed why it is important to have a combination of both in our research. I love having these kind of conversations with my students due to the new standards. I am excited to see how this turns out and I know there will still be things to learn this time around, but I feel like they are less overwhelmed because of the new things I have put in place this year.
This sounds so great! I, too, am starting a research unit of study. I'll need to help them narrow their google searches -- thanks for the reminder. I have been teaching them how to highlight without changing the color of the paper. That's such a hard skill for some of them. When we take notes, we have 3 columns: facts, details, thoughts (questions, illustrations, connections, deeper thinking). The last column is as big as the other two combined; it's also the hardest for the kids. Getting beyond the literal and stretching their thinking is something new to them, but it's in the new standards.
ReplyDeleteMy kids are struggling with creating "thick" questions for research. How did you get your kids to do that piece?
Kristi,
DeleteI provided the "thick" questions for this round of research. As we move into essay writing and they have to research their topic of choice, I will ask them to do it. I know it will need to be an 'I do' 'We do' 'You do' scenario as this is the most difficult part. I will let you know next week how we do with that.
I also like your idea with the 3 column notes. The biggest thing I found when grading their research was that it was completely disorganized. By giving them the organization tool I am sure it would help them greatly. I also agree 100% that the stretching their thinking is the most difficult, but it is the most rewarding when they step up to the challenge. Keep me posted on your venture as well.
Penny
Your research units sound like they're both off to a great start, ladies. Research is so difficult to teach and learning to sift through information is overwhelming. I like that you've both worked on developing research questions. I use the same technique with seventh graders, as they work on developing a main umbrella question and 3-5 minor support questions. They organize their note-catcher tables into their questions, so that the only information they should be recording are answers to their questions. The synthesis part is by far the hardest undertaking.
ReplyDeleteDoes the "thick" question wording come from your standards? I'm wondering if that would be equivalent to our umbrella questions; although, that isn't a term from the standards.
How are you having your students show their learning? Are they writing a report? Presenting their findings?
I've taken the multi-genre approach with research in the last few years and have found the students' products to be much more interesting, innovative, and intriguing than an essay or report. My teammate and I have come up with twenty genre options, developed a Google Template with requirements for each option, and have linked them to a Symbaloo for ease. They write about their learning process throughout the project, which matters more than anything else.
I would definitely recommend having your students write about their learning process too, whether it's on a class blog, individual Google Doc, etc. The thinking time should help them to synthesize their learning, growth, and understanding of research.
Melissa,
DeleteI am glad to know that what Kristi and I are doing is on par with the work that you do. I like that there is alignment because it will benefit you (and the students) down the road.
My students are showing their learning during a Cover It Live debate this Friday. I will be looking at their comments to see how well they know their topic. They also had to share their research with other students in class who researched a different settler group.
Your multi-genre approach sounds awesome. Can you share that document with Kristi and I just so we can wrap our heads around what you have created?
I will absolutely have them debrief about their learning process this week as well so I know what they need help with moving forward. These check-ins are so beneficial for us to see, great suggestion!
Thanks as always Melissa for your ideas and feedback.
Penny
I wrote a whole blog entry about the project and even figured out how to create a video with pictures of the kids work. http://teachingreflect.blogspot.com/2013/03/reading-and-writing.html
ReplyDeleteMelissa, our "thick" questions are open-ended questions that cannot be answered with a word or sentence. I think the term is something that we elementary teacher use. It's easy for the kids to see the difference between a thick and thin question.